BRING MONEY – ESPECIALLY CASH.
- Queens usually make you buy merch to meet them and get a pic at their booth. Don’t worry though, you can usually buy something for five or ten bucks (posters and pins) or some queens will just accept $5 for a photo if you don’t want to buy anything. This is the way these queens can make money back because they PAID out of pocket for a booth to see you guys! It supports their drag. Some queens accept cards but wifi is spotty so there’s no guarantee it’ll be up and working when you go, so cash is definitely preferred.
BRING A LARGE BAG.
- An empty bag or bookbag to carry any items you may purchase is a must! Some shops (like sugarpill) have bags but most don’t and most queens don’t so you don’t wanna be stuck carrying a bunch of random merch & risk losing it. Plus, it’s a great place to put your map / selfie light / sharpies / etc.
- Not only will you be hungry… the line for food at ANY convention is usually awful and they overcharge way too much chicken tenders. Food trucks outside or bringing snacks in are your best bet. Plus, that means you don’t have to spend time waiting for food when you could be waiting for queens.
HAVE A PLAN.
- Having a plan at dragcon is super important bc otherwise you might get overwhelmed or forget something you wanna do !! Lines get busy and if you see a super long one you can always go find someone with a 15 to 30 minute line and come back later – but that’s only easy if you learn the layout of the con. I would definitely suggest printing a physical copy of the map they have on their website and writing down booths / queens you wanna visit (once they release the booth list). queens lines can get busy if they’re super popular so expect to wait a bit for some – sasha and adore usually took me like an hour, and katya took like two to get to but with less popular queens, it’ll only be a five to ten person wait.
MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR EXPERIENCE.
- My fave thing to do is bring something that every queen can sign – i did a dress that i had everyone draw on, one of my friends did a croc, i know others have just done autograph books or like the front of a photo album they’d fill with selfies later !! Signatures are free once you’re meeting a queen and it’s a super cute way to get another physical memory besides just a photo.
- I also like getting friends to film my meet and greet, or having someone else in line take pics on their phone and send them to me. That way if the actual m&g pics aren’t too cute, i’ve got other memories !!